Community Football Postponed – Until 31st May 2020
The AFL wishes to advise that following a series of meetings involving the AFL and all State and Territory CEOs, recommendations have been made in relation to community football leagues and programs across the country.
The following will take place:
- All AFL and AFL State association managed or operated leagues along with all NAB AFL Auskick Centres programs currently operating or set to begin, will be postponed until May 31, 2020.
- The AFL has advised independently governed junior and senior leagues and associations to postpone the commencement and / or operation of their leagues / associations until the same date (May 31, 2020). This decision and recommendation covers AFL community matches, AFL community training sessions and face to face AFL, WAFC and SANFL education courses.
- Postponement of all diversity programs including:
- Woomeras and Boomerangs programs
- Medleys and World Team programs
- Rio Tinto Footy Means Business Programs
- Bachar Houli Football Programs
- All State and Territory multicultural and indigenous programs
- International Cup
- Victorian Wheelchair Football League
- Toyota National Wheelchair Championships
- Victorian FIDA Football League
The AFL is determined to be part of the whole of community response to slow the COVID-19 virus down – and in doing so, help the broader community and our health systems manage the situation as effectively as possible.
The recommendation was collectively agreed upon based on the nature of shared public facilities across community football clubs and the health and safety of our volunteer network.