SESA AFL Female Athlete Development Program 2018
The South East Sports Academy (SESA) is a new regional academy of sport being administered by the NSW Office of Sport with the support of AFL NSW/ACT. Forming a vital part of the athlete pathway, SESA caters for athletes aged 15–18, demanding quality coaches in this integral development phase.
The SESA AFL Female Athlete Development Program will provide coaching, training, competition and support services to improve athlete development.
Scholarship holders will be required to undergo an induction process, attend weekly training sessions and participate in academy activities.
- Access to first class training facilities
- Technique and skill development
- Athlete education
- Opportunities to represent SESA at various events events including the Your Local Club Academy Games.
To be eligible for a SESA AFL Female Athlete Development Scholarship, athletes must satisfy the following criteria:
1. Reside within the South East Region of NSW or the ACT
3. Female athletes turning 15 to 18 years of age in 2019.
To gain selection into the SESA AFL Female Athlete Development Program athletes must satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following:
- Be athletic and show potential in improving skills and ability
- Be enthusiastic, motivated, and committed
- Willingness to learn and apply coaching ideas.
Conditions of scholarship
SESA AFL Female Athlete Development Program Scholarship holders are expected to:
- Attend all program activities
- Be committed and prepared to work toward improving performance
- Be committed to a holistic approach to athlete development
- Not take or use performance enhancing drugs or illegal drugs or participate in other activities that are prohibited by the South East Sports Academy Code of Conduct
- Adhere to SESA policies and relevant AFL NSW/ACT policies and by-laws
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing SESA
- An athlete levy of $350 will apply which covers the cost of program activities (there will be an additional levy to attend Your Local Club Academy Games).
Athletes selected into the program will participate in:
· Academy Camp in Jindabyne on 27 -28 October 2018
· Weekly training sessions (Nov -Dec & Feb – April) – approx. 20sessions
· Fitness testing and off-field education sessions
· Inter-academy competitions (Your Local Club Academy Games).
Complete an online nomination form by 5pm on Monday 8 September 2018. Attend selections trials. Applications may be discussed with:
- Parents/ Guardians
- Nominated referee, coach and school
- AFL NSW/ACT.
- More information here: SESA Athlete Trial AFL
DATE: Wednesday 12 September, 2018
Time: 5.30PM -7.30PM (Please arrive by 5.00PM)
Weekly training sessions will mainly be held in Queanbeyan.
Seeking Assistant Coaches
Nominations are now open for assistant coaches within the AFL Athlete Program.
SESA is seeking coaches that have an interest in the individualised development of athletes in the talent pathway. SESA coaches must focus on a player-centred approach to improving performance, understanding the athlete and developing them as a whole person.
SESA coaches would have a growth mindset and a desire to develop as a coach. AFL NSW/ACT will support SESA coaches with resources, mentoring and collaboration opportunities. If you have the appropriate desire, qualifications and experience, follow the process below and apply today.
1. Nominate your preferred position
2. Consider carefully the commitment required to be a coach or manager as outlined on our website
3. Ensure you have the relevant Working With Children Check
4. Apply online prior to the closing date of Monday 8 September