ANUAFC launch Women’s Leadership Scholarship for 2018
The Australian National University Football Club (ANUAFC) has announced a new AFL Women’s Scholarship in 2018 in partnership with Snowy Mountains Engineering Company (SMEC). Building on the success of the inaugural scholarship program launched in February this year, ANUAFC and SMEC have joined forces to cater to the surge of interest and participation in women’s AFL in Canberra (34% increase in 2017 in ACT/South Coast).
Caitlin Roy, Club President of ANUAFC said “this scholarship further reinforces ANUAFC and SMEC’s commitment to women’s leadership, creating a pathway for future generations of women aspiring to seek academic and professional excellence, and play Australian Football”
The scholarship will continue to provide $5000 per year for the duration of the recipient’s study program at ANU. They will now also have access to leadership and career development opportunities and act as an ambassador for the ANUAFC, SMEC and ANU Sport.
SMEC and ANUFC will provide a platform to for the recipient to support, communicate and promote the importance of diversity and female leadership on the field, on campus, in business and in the community.
THE RUN DOWN
What are the expectations for the successful scholarship holder?
The successful scholarship holder will be expected to:
- meet ANU academic standards;
- train with and play football for the ANUAFC, acting as a club leader both on and off the field;
- be available to be involved in intervarsity competitions;
- participate in speaking and ambassador roles for ANUAFC, ANU Sport and AFL Canberra; and
- more details about the scholarship can be found in the ANUAFC Women’s Leadership Scholarship Conditions of Award.
Can I apply?
All women who are studying a the ANU, or have been accepted in to an ANU study program, or who have applied to study at the ANY, and have demonstrated sporting and leadership skills are welcome to apply.
How will applications be assessed?
Applications will be assessed by an independent panel of representatives from ANUAFC and ANU Sport.
The Scholarship will be assessed against four basic criteria:
- meeting ANU’s academic standards;
- demonstrated talent and experience in playing AFL (or the capability to translate excellence in another sporting field to AFL);
- demonstrated qualities of leadership, teamwork, enthusiasm, and commitment to be applied both on-the-field and as an ambassador of the ANU, ANUAFC and other partners; and
- financial need.
How do I apply?
Applications are to be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, 31 January 2018
These should include:
- evidence of enrolment at the ANU, or acceptance into the ANU, or application to study at the ANU;
- a current CV
- a 1-2 page (max) statement against the assessment criteria (noted above), what the applicant hopes to gain from the Scholarship, and what they will bring to the Scholarship
- contact details for 2 referees who can attest to the applicant’s AFL experience and leadership skills (or other relevant athletic skills and achievements)
Where can I go for more information?
Check the ANUAFC website for more information on the scholarship.
The President of the ANU Australian Football Club, Caitlin Roy, would be happy to answer any questions relating to the Scholarship or Club via email or mobile telephone.
Mobile: 0413 396 031